Today is day 5 of working the polls and I love doing this work, I learn so much. Here are the things I have learned this week.
- An anvil is not exclusively for dropping on road runners chasing coyotes. It is used for blacksmiths and fitting horseshoes. Why didn’t I know that?
- A simple sticker can be a badge of honor and pride.
- iPads turn back on if you insert the charger.
- Reading is still done with books and there is an equal amount of book reading, journaling snd doodling going on, along with the screen time with the younger generation.
- Homeless voters can list their shelter as their address to vote.
- The Starbucks in Grand Park closes at 6 pm.
- LA County has 5.4 million registered voters.
- I can still make an origami water balloon. A skill I learned in 5th grade.
- This year you can vote at the Music Center, The Wiltern, Union Station, The Hollywood Bowl, Dodger Stadium, The Staples Center and at the Grand Central Market!
- The young and old want to take voter selfies!
- In CA, your doctor can legally destroy your medical records after 10 years.
- You can update your address at polling locations in LA County.
- The Khasi tribes in Northeast India create elaborate root bridges to traverse the area during monsoon season.
- LA City Council members server 4 year terms with a 3 term limit.
- There are 7,334 volunteers and trainees currently in the Peace Corp.
- More LA Music Center Poll Workers like pineapple on their pizza, than don’t.
- Using your voter bar code to check in and your Poll Pass to cast your votes, means the whole process can take less than 5 minutes.
I hope you too have had a happy, productive and educational week!!